- About Us
- Contact Us
In a coffee shop or in an airport, it’s normal to see people working on their laptops, connected to the public wifi. However, this kind of network is the most vulnerable to cybercrimes and most people are unaware of the risks of using public Wi-Fi.
More than 60% of consumers think they are safe when connected to a public wi-fi, according to a survey conducted by Symantec, a cybersecurity company. Common activities on public Wi-Fi include logging into a personal e-mail account (58%), logging into social media (56%) and accessing bank or financial information (22%).
Here are 10 simple tips from Kreston’s US member CBIZ that can help keep your data secure.
1. Use a VPN: a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is the best technical solution to protect your data as it creates an encrypted tunnel to protect your information.
2. Look for encrypted websites: when surfing the web, look for websites that begin with “https://.” These are considered more secure compared to those that begin with “http://.”
3. Secure your computer: choose the “public network” Wi-Fi option on your computer instead of “home network” or “work network” options. The public network option locks down the connection, ensuring your computer isn’t sharing any files or other important data with devices on the local network.
4. Shopping online: never store your credit card, bank account numbers on a website, or even on your device, while connected to public Wi-Fi.
5. Access to social media : logging into Facebook and/ or clicking on links from social media sites from a business device may leave your proprietary data at risk.
6. Anti-virus software: you need to make sure your virus definitions are up to date.
7. Hotspot: a mobile or personal hotspot instead of public Wi-Fi may be the safest option. You can also hide your hotspot network from public view.
8. Your company Wi-Fi may be not the safest place as well: bear in mind that the shared network Wi-Fi in your business works in the same way as public networks in airports, libraries, hotels and coffee chains. It is a public access point so you should not share devices or files across it.
9. Educate employees: companies should keep a policy to educate employees about the use of their business devices, especially those who do business outside of work.
10. Report a cybercrime: If there is any suspicion that some device may be infected, it should be reported to the IT department immediately.
Additional Source: Telegraph
Earlier this month, the Senate voted in Donald Trump’s controversial $1.4 trillion tax reform bill by the narrow margin of
To say that there’s been a backlash against globalisation in recent years would be an understatement. From demonstrations in France
“May you live in interesting times” goes the Chinese expression. In fact, it’s actually more of a subtle barb to
Earlier this month, the Slovenian Prime Minister, Miro Cerar, stated that he “want[s] to position Slovenia as the most recognised
In the UK, they’re known as Generation Y, in Germany Generation Maybe, and China has labelled them as the generation
Rodney Sutton, head of manufacturing at Kreston Reeves, recently shared his thoughts on the UK manufacturing industry following the referendum
The adoption of international accounting standards has brought many benefits to the private and public sectors. This being said, there
Remote working is becoming a way of life for many professionals and the ability to work in a variety of
A common global language for business affairs, IFRS Standards are required by more than 120 jurisdictions in the world. Recently,
Automated technologies and artificial intelligence in our society will challenge many professions in the future. Some of them may be
Crowdfunding is still relatively new but should still be considered as a viable source of equity. Nowadays, it is providing
A legal amendment to the Finance Bill recently accepted by the UK government may pave the way for big changes
In the business world, there are bumps on the road and financial setbacks. In this situation, it is easy to
Day by day, technology is becoming an essential part of our lives, as the way we manage our financial life,
A new generation is coming to challenge the market. The Millennials make up a quarter of the US population and
Managing change is one of the biggest challenges for businesses as it requires a huge effort from managers and organisations
Sustainability reports are released by companies and organisations of all types, sizes, and sectors, from all over the world. A
Accounting is an indispensable tool for entrepreneurs to manage their business. The data provided by competent
Thinking about the risks involved in business has become an essential part of an enterprise’s strategy. Risk management enables organisations
When a business does not achieve its expected results, it may be time to think about implementing change. In these
The Financial Times recently reported the dispute in the courts between the UK supermarket chain Sainsbury’s and MasterCard. The Competition
For many, the accounting profession may not seem the most attractive in the world. But with technology and innovation at our hands, this is about to change.
By following these five steps, communication has everything it needs to flow better, regardless of where your business is located and where the people you
The need to go global is something that has emerged over the past decade and promises to challenge business for the next coming years.
Recently a considerable change in the SME market was announced through business news on the internet. The Big Four have
There are five topics that we must remember when dealing with working personal relationships in international business…
Slowly, one of the last socialist countries in the world is preparing to make changes to its economy, but how will this be done?
Developing countries attract the attention of investors by offering good opportunities and new markets, making them attractive for anyone thinking of expanding their
Through a mobile app, a small business can promote its brand, products, and services, expand its sales channels, interact with the target audience and get
Last month, experts at the Milken Institute Global Conference in Los Angeles looked at certain megatrends and predicted several economic scenarios for 2040 to
Your browser (Internet Explorer) is out of date.
It is no longer supported by Microsoft and therefore may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser here